Heraklion Coffee & Cocktail Week
The Alternative Brew-off
Build your own
The idea is for competitors to build their own pour-over brewing device. It must be made from scratch (not using any existing brewing device) and can use any filter paper you desire.
**Coffee will be provided**
Competitors will then compete in front of a panel of judges and score points in two categories.
The person who scores highest overall will become the overall winner of that competition but there are also winners in Best Brew and Best Design categories.
Competitors will be scored on design, appearance, functionality and performance.
Competitors will be scored on how well they brewed the COMPULSORY coffee.
The competitor with the highest overall score at the end of the competition will be crowned overall winner.
Creators Cup is supposed to be a fun and less formal competition that aims to showcase the competitors skill of brewing and understanding of brewing devices to create an all round entertaining performance with delicious coffee.
- Each competitor is given a compulsory coffee to use.
- Creators Cup is run much like the compulsory round of WBrC (World Brewers Cup).
- There will be compulsory water.
- Grinders and water boilers will be provided and must be used.
- Competitors will be given a practice time to learn the coffee before the scored service.
- The contestant is allowed 5 minutes setup time before scoring begins.
- The scored round is 10 minutes where the contestant should discuss the idea behind their brewing device.
- The contestant is only required to make a single brew. But the brew must be no less than 150ml.
- During the scored service judges will be scoring the contestant on the design attributes of the score sheet.
- The sensory scores of the brew will be made after the scored service is completed and the brew is served.
Brewing device rules
- Contestants must use a paper filters (but this can can be any paper filter they want). *** If the contestant wants to use cloth or metal this might be allowed but they must submit a request to justify its use.***
- The brewing device must not be made using parts from an existing (market available) devices. ***If the contestant chooses to recreate the effect of an existing brewing device this is acceptable but it will have an impact in the Design scores.***
- The brewing device cannot use electric motors. ***If parts require movement they must be moved manually.***
The Overall Winner will be the person with the highest overall score when brew and design are combined.
- BEST BREW
- Competitors will be scored on how well they brewed the COMPULSORY coffee.
- This is the award for the person who scored the highest results in the Brew (sensory) section after the Overall Winner.
- BEST DESIGN
- Competitors will be scored on design, appearance, functionality and performance.
- This is the award for the person who scored the highest results in the Design section after the Overall Winner.